Because my intention with Funkish is to provide a first-rate resource for people that love funky music from around the world, as well as to create a place where any curious music lovers can come to get turned on to poly-rhythmic, fun, funky music they’ve never heard before (but will surely love)…I put together this feed of other excellent music blogs.
Bookmark this page to access articles about amazing music. For example, the feed includes Afropop Worldwide.
It’s the best source for hearing & learning about the marvelous music of the African diaspora in all its forms. You can listen to their podcast to learn about the greats of African music like Thomas Mapfumo, Franco, and Fela Kuti. And, get hip to anything from Ethiopian music to Afro-Colombian music to New Orleans music, Samba, and of course what music is current in African countries — via their HipDeep series.
Okay Africa is in there too. It’s another excellent source for finding out what’s going on musically in African countries right now.
Okay Player is my favorite resource for current, more underground African American music. They write about Hip-Hop, Neo Soul, and have their finger on the pulse of what’s cutting edge.
Other blogs you can come here to check out are Jam Base, and Relix. These will get you tuned into the Jam Band scene. You can make a profile, lists, and alerts in Jam Base to get notified when your favorite bands play live near you. Live For Live Music is the other superb source for all things Jam Band scene, and to know about which funk bands are playing at which festivals (but they don’t have an RSS feed to include here).
Jam In The Van creates the coolest concert videos, traveling coast to coast, going to festivals & musical cities like New Orleans & Asheville to record the best Rock, Funk & Jam Bands doing their thing live in the world’s funkiest mobile studio.
Funk It is another great blog. They shoot professional quality video of concerts all over the US. Follow them for some remarkable live footage. If you can’t make it to Jam Cruise or New Orleans Jazz Fest…they’ve got you covered.
Funkatopia is another outstanding resource to always go to when you want to hear some funky new music. They have lots of album reviews, a radio show, concert & music news, and everything you need to know about Prince.
Sounds And Colors is my favorite blog dedicated to underground Latin music. They publish outstanding articles, interviews…and even some dope playlists, like ones dedicated to Brazilian music that you can’t get anywhere else in English. It’s the best resource for getting turned on to what’s new & hip in South America.
Congahead is an awesome source for the best in Salsa music & Latin Jazz in the US. He makes tons of high-quality videos, and has some amazing photos too.
Paris DJs are always putting out fantastic free mixes, and is one of the best places to turn for the newest & best funky music from around the world. They write good articles, and these voracious crate diggers highlight some amazing artists I bet you’ve never heard of. This may be the #1 source for getting turned on to awesome music you have never heard before, but will surely love.
And, of course Paris DJs create the world’s best compilation albums, and deluxe vinyl boxsets. Check them out here.
That’s just a selection of the brilliant blogs & websites I curate on this page. So, be sure to bookmark this page, and refer back to it when you want to discover dope music. Check the links below…
A World Of Funky Music, All In One Place…
- Daily Discovery: Yissy García & Bandancha: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert
- Daily Discovery: Chinese Man (ft. Youthstar, Illaman) – Blah! (L’Entourloop Remix)
- A Lark Ascending: Karl Bielik On Painting And Process
- Daily Discovery: Kamasi Washington – Street Fighter Mas
- Happy Birthday Robert Hunter: Non-Grateful Dead Songs Spotify Playlist
- Dead & Company Delivers Bust Out & Goes Heavy On ‘Viola Lee Blues’ In Wisconsin
- Moviedrone: This Month’s Finest Film Soundtracks, Reviewed
- Chuito y Natalia con Toribo y El Conjunto Industrias Nativas Los Decanos de los Cantores Ansonia SALP 1393
- Behold! June’s Quietus Comics Round Up Column
- Daily Discovery: Yazz Ahmed: live session VG Turning East
- MUGGS x DOOM
- R+R=NOW’s Robert Glasper On Being Free AF For Juneteenth, ‘Collagically Speaking’ & More [Interview]
- Listen: Punk Supergroup Beach Rats Share Debut Song
- Will Drake’s Upcoming ‘Scorpion’ LP Be a Double Album?
- Playlist: Love Supreme Jazz Festival 2018 (June 2018)